Go Big Blue – Hometown View
Of course Sunday is Super Bowl 46 and because we have a local team in the game there is added interest as many Giants fans will be glued to the TV and focused pretty much on the game action. Of course 40% of those watching the G-Men battle the Patriots really don’t care that much about the game but rather will be watching for social reasons with many of them attending a Super Bowl party. Those are the people who get up during the game but won’t miss a commercial.
Despite the fact it seems just every NFL expert is picking the Giants it’s New England who remains a 3 point favorite and legally or illegally there will be a lot of money wagered on Sunday’s game. Most of that will be bet on the outcome and whether or not the Patriots cover the point spread. However if were in Las Vegas you might be enticed to bet on a myriad of what’s called “prop bets” which would keep you interested in the game…even if you weren’t really interested in the game.
For example you could bet on the following:
• Who will President Obama pick to win the game
• The over/under on the time it will take Kelly Clarkson to sing the National Anthem. The number is 1:34….I say she goes over that.
(You can also bet on whether or not she’ll screw up a word in the song)
• Since the game is in Indianapolis and his brother is the Giants quarterback you can place a wager on how many times Peyton Manning will be shown on TV. The over/under is 3 ½….I go with the over.
• Will NBC broadcasters Al Michaels or Chris Collinsworth say “Tebow” in the first quarter? (I’ll go with no).
• Will Madonna use a handheld microphone or headset when she starts her halftime performance? Also, what color her hair or wig will be.
• Will Tom Brady’s wife Gisele be shown on TV? (of course)
• How many military aircraft will be used in the pre-game flyover?
• Finally you can not only bet on whether the winning coach will be doused in Gatorade but what color it will be. I’m going with blue and that Gatorade will be dumped on Tom Coughlin after a 27-24 Giants victory.
By the way if you are looking for something to do before the game the Toms River Shooters of the Atlantic Coast Professional Basketball League will host the Hudson Valley Kingz in the new Baker League Indoor Basketball Arena in South Toms River. I will be the PA announcer for the 1pm game which will feature at halftime raffle for a big screen TV and another one for the benefit of Ocean of Love. For more information on the team visit tomsrivershooters.com