Meatball Sliders Make Great Super Bowl Snacks
Super Bowl XLVI is this Sunday and besides the game (and Puppy Bowl) that means tons of great snacking! If you’re still looking for that perfect appetizer to bring to your party, look no further! Here is a delicious recipe for Meatball Sliders from Eating Light Magazine!
Active time: 30 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
Makes 20 sliders
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil, plus more frying
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 slices white sandwich bread (crusts removed), torn in pieces
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3/4 lb. ground beef chuck
- 1/2 lb. ground pork
- 1/4 lb. veal
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 Tbsp. chopped basil or flat-leaf parsley
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 3 cups homemade or store-bought marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 cups baby arugula leaves
- 1 package (15 oz.) party-size potato rolls, split, or other mini soft rolls
- 10 thin deli slices Provolone cheese, halved
- In small saucepan on medium-low, heat oil. Add onions and garlic, and cook 5 minutes, or until translucent; cool. In medium bowl, combine bread and milk; let stand until mushy. Add ground meats, onion mixture, Parmesan, egg, basil, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper; mix with hands until just combined (don’t overmix). Using small ice cream scoop or tablespoon, form into 20 small meatballs.
- In large, deep skillet on medium, heat about 1/4 cup oil. Working in batches, fry meatballs about 7 minutes per batch, or until brown all over. Transfer to plate. Discard drippings and wipe skillet. Add marinara sauce to skillet and return meatballs to sauce. Bring to boiling, reduce heat to low, cover with lid slightly ajar, and simmer about 30 minutes, or until meatballs are tender, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, place arugula leaves on bottom of each roll. Top each with 1 meatball, some sauce, a Provolone slice, and top of roll.
TOTAL CALORIES: 206
What is your favorite Super Bowl snack? If you plan on making these sliders, let us know how they turn out!