New Jerseyites Weigh In On Political Name-Calling
Governor Chris Christie made headlines recently when he called a legislator “numb-nuts“. As a result, a Fairleigh Dickinson University PublicMind poll was conducted by residents of New Jersey asking what was appropriate and inappropriate. Take a look at the results.
- 87% said those seeking public office should refrain from name-calling
- 25% said calling a political opponent “dishonest,” “corrupt” or “radical” is never acceptable
- 50% said calling someone “unpatriotic” was unacceptable
- 60% said calling someone “fascist” was unacceptable
- 78% said calling someone “ignoramus” was unacceptable
- 83% said calling someone “jerk” was unacceptable
- 84% said calling someone “numb-nuts” was unacceptable
What Do You Think?
Are any of these words acceptable? What other words should not be acceptable to use as an attack?