Super Sports Weekend
The Pine Belt Arena should be the scene of an exciting Saturday of high school wrestling as the venue hosts the Shore Conference Tournament Semifinals and Finals for the first time ever.
As expected the top four seeds all advanced after winning a pair of matches on their home mats last night so tomorrow afternoon Toms River South will face Howell and Brick Memorial will take on Jackson Memorial at 3pm in the semis. The winners will then meet for the championship at 5:30.
Congratulations to South coach Ron Laycock on career victory #200 which came in a round of 16 win over Barnegat last night.
Judy Geiger was the heart and soul of the Beachwood Soccer Club for more than 30 years as a coach, executive board member and director of the micro program for the youngest players. She impacted the lives of thousands of children in a positive manner and helped a countless number of coaches learn everything from organizing practices to ordering equipment. I know because I was one of them.
Judy passed away just before Christmas and tomorrow family and friends will gather at St. Paul Lutheran Church for a memorial service to honor the life of a woman who gave much more of herself then she ever received.
Sunday of course is Super Bowl Sunday and here are some facts:
- More than 1.2 billion chicken wings are expected to be consumed which is over 100 million pounds of wings.
- The food of choice for home parties is actually vegetables. Also, 32% of those attending a party will snack on some form of dip.
- 11 million pounds of potato chips will be eaten and 8 million pounds of avocado will be used to make guacamole for some of those chips. We’ll wash it down with 52 million cases of beer that will be sold.
- Domino’s expects to deliver 11 million pieces of pizza on Sunday.
- 20% of those surveyed said they would miss the wedding of a family member or close friend to attend a Super Bowl in person. 19% would miss the funeral of someone in their family….I guess the feeling is they would not know.
- Sales of Tums and other antacids increase by 20% the day after the game which we know is the #1 day of the year for people taking off from work.
- The Ravens will win because Baltimore has a lower unemployment rate than San Francisco. In 17 of the last 20 Super Bowls’ that stat has held up so I like Baltimore to win 24-22.