The New Basic Slimming Soup
Marianne came across this great recipe in For Women First Magazine to help slim down this winter. Consume this delicious soup twice a day to help lose 10 pounds!
- 1 3/4 lbs. lean ground beef, turkey or chopped chicken
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large red, yellow or green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large yellow squash, chopped
- 8 oz. mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tsp. chopped garlic
- 1 bottle (46 oz.) reduced-sodium tomato or veggie cocktail juice
- 1 can (15 oz.) pinto, garbanzo or black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbs. ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 cup each fresh cilantro and parsley leaves, chopped
- In a saucepot over medium-high heat, cook beef, turkey or chicken in olive oil 5 minutes or until cooked through, stirring occasionally. Remove from pot; drain, if desired.
- In same saucepot, cook onions, peppers, squash, mushrooms and garlic 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cocktail juice, beans, tomatoes, lime juice, cumin, cayenne and cooked meat. Add 1 cup water to thin soup, if desired. Cover; bring soup just to a simmer. (Do not boil.) Reduce heat to medium-low; let simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cilantro and parsley. Cover; let simmer 5 minutes. Garnish with shaved Parmesan cheese, if desired. (Note: Soup can be stored in refrigerator for up to 5 days or frozen.)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Makes: 10 to 12 cups (2 to 3 cups/serving)
For a vegetarian option, omit the meat and add an additional 15 oz. can of pinto, garbanzo or black beans.
Get this complete recipe and many others at For Women First!
How did you enjoy this soup? Do you have any recipes of your own that you would like to share?